Excursions - what to see and do during your vacation in and near Florence
● Visits to Florence. The architecture, museums, shopping and restaurants of Florence will undoubtedly be one of your main destinations during your holiday here in Tuscany.
● Visit Fiesole. Visit the Roman ruins and famous villa architecture, while enjoying the wonderful views out over Florence and the Arno Valley. Fiesole Italy.
● Chianti Classico tour. Immediately south of the Arno, one enters the "Classico" area of the Chianti wine zone where the scenic Chiantigiana highway runs from Florence to Siena, by way of Greve, Panzano, Castellina and other beautiful Tuscan hill towns. There are numerous castles and wine tasting opportunities throughout the route.
● Wine tasting on the Chianti Rùfina and Pomino wine road along the Sieve Valley road which starts at Pontassieve and winds into the Mugello. Among the numerous wineries is Castello del Trebbio and there is an excellent wine museum at Villa Poggio Reale.
● The Mugello. It is hard to believe that an area so wild is only 30 minutes from Florence. The Mugello is the homeland of the Medici family and in addition to its natural scenery it is dotted with castles, watchtowers and villas, not the least being Villa Cafaggiolo.
● The Faentina railway. From Potassieve there is an extremely scenic railway circuit to Borgo San Lorenzo, Florence and back. On certain days of the year, steam engines run on part of this track on the way from Florence to Faenza and Ravenna. This trans-Appenine train trip is excellent value with any type of engine.
● Outlet Shopping at The Mall, Leccio. Try your luck for reduced price Gucci, Prada and many other high fashion items.
The Vasari Corridor
When planning a visit to the Uffizi Gallery in Florence, you should reserve your place by telephoning the gallery some weeks or even months ahead. Phone reservations do not require pre-payment. You are given a number and can pick up your ticket without joining the long queue of visitors who neglected to reserve in advance.
If you have scheduling flexibility, consider including a tour of the Vasari Corridor. These take place on selected days by reservation only. Not all tours are in English. Choose an 11.30 tour and you will be allowed to enter the Uffizi without extra cost at 9.00 am thus including a visit to the Uffizi in the price of your ticket to the Vasari Corridor. Be sure to book directly with the Uffizi and not via any of the reseller sites disguised to look like the official site - almost all of them charge more, often much more, than the official price. This the official Uffizi Gallery site:https://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/english/musei/vasariano/
The Circuito del Mugello is a famous superbike track that is also used for Formula One training. There are also possibilities to drive your own car or bike on the track. Enthusiasts should check the programme since the track is only 29 km from Podere Castelfidardo along a lightly travelled route. More about theMugello Superbike Track.